2020 St. Theresa Catholic Daughters of the Americas Scholarship
Court St. Theresa of Lisieux is offering one individual college scholarship to high school graduates in the amount of $1,000.00 each. To apply for this scholarship, you must be a 2020 high school graduating senior.
*If scholarships do not meet the following requirements, Catholic Daughters will not award scholarships.*
A scholarship committee will review each essay and select the winner. The following rules apply for all entries:
1. Each applicant must submit a typed essay. The essay must be at least one page and cannot exceed two pages. (more than two pages will be disqualified).
2. Must use correct grammar, syntax and spelling.
3. The application MUST be emailed/mailed and postmarked by June 30, 2020 to:
St. Theresa CDA
803 Rolling Mill
Sugar Land, TX 77498
email at email@example.com
4. The applicant’s name, address, email and phone number must only appear on the cover sheet of the essay. There shall be NO reference to your name or the names of any family members in your essay. ( This will be cause for disqualification)
5. We must have a receipt from the college or university you are attending; we will mail a check to that college or university. This receipt must be sent to St. Theresa CDA by August 14, 2020.
The essay should be written in the following three sections. Please write in an essay form, no resumes will be accepted.
Section 1: High school activities, community involvement.
Section 2: Goals in life in relation to college major, desired vocation after graduation, and the name of the college/university you plan to attend.
Section 3: Respond to the following question using correct grammar, syntax and spelling:
“What impact has the Catholic Church had on preparing me for college, and college life?”
Club Unidad (George Morales Sr.) Memorial Scholarship
Club Unidad will award a $500.00 scholarship to a graduating High School Senior who is a registered member of St. Theresa’s Church. Applications may be picked up at the parish office. For additional information or any questions regarding the scholarship, please contact, George Morales, Jr.: 281-565-5469 or David Chairez: 832-419-2271
All scholarships applications should be postmarked no later than Friday, July 31, 2020.
Knights of Columbus St. Basil Council 4204 Education Grants
St. Basil Council 4204 is offering three individual college EDUCATION GRANTS in the amount of $1,000.00 each to 2020 graduating high school seniors. The committee of Knights will review each essay and select the winners. The following rules will apply to the awarding of the grants:
The essay may be HANDWRITTEN or TYPED
The essay must be received by July 3, 2020 to:
Grand Knight Sam DeMora
1235 Pinecroft Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77498
The applicant’s name should appear only on the cover sheet and there shall be no reference to your name or the names of any members of your family in your essay, or you will be disqualified.
The essay should be written in 3 SECTIONS or
Section I: Personal history, including length of residence in the Sugar Land area, high school activities, jobs, hobbies, and community involvement.
Section II: Goals in life in relation to college major/minor, desired vocation after college graduation, and the name of the institution you plan to attend.
Section III: Respond to the following:
As Catholics in our part of Southeast Texas, we belong to the wider local Church known as the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. Every diocese has a bishop as its chief pastor, with local parish priests to assist the bishop in his pastoral duties throughout his territory.
- How does the Church define the identity and mission of the bishop?
- What are the three duties, or offices, by which the bishop carries out his ministry in the Church?
- Finally, how do laypersons participate in the three offices which properly belong to the bishop?
References & Resources:
- Apostolorum Successores: Directory for the Pastoral Ministry of Bishops, Congregation for Bishops, 2004.
- Christus Dominus: Decree Concerning the Pastoral Office of Bishops in the Church, Second Vatican Council, 1965.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, nos. 871-945.
The contest is open to the children or grandchildren of all KC members in good standing at Council 4204 and all registered members of St. Theresa Catholic Church of Sugar Land.
The winners of these education grants and their families will be guests of the Knights of Columbus at a general meeting in the future. Should there be any questions, please contact Grand Knight Sam DeMora at